Subject: bug#13142: closed (Re: bug#13142: 24.2; make install-info fails with non-english locale)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:43:01 +0000

Your bug report

#13142: 24.2; make install-info fails with non-english locale

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13142: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13142
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13142: 24.2; make install-info fails with non-english locale
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:41:40 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.3

"Nicolas Richard" wrote:

> and the output of `${MAKE} echo-info` depends on the locale. Replacing the
> above line by the following seems to solve my problem :
>
> info_misc=`cd $${thisdir}/doc/misc; LANG=C ${MAKE} echo-info | sed '/ing directory/d'`; \

Thanks, applied to emacs-24.

(I don't particularly like this 'sed' approach, so if anyone has a
better solution... It's needed because make turns on "entering
directory" messages when called recursively, and there seems to be no
portable way to turn that off. I don't want to rely on, eg assuming that
the info file names end in ".info".)

Subject: 24.2; make install-info fails with non-english locale
From: "Nicolas Richard" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:22:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

As stated in the subject, `make install-info' fails with a non-english
(french) locale. The reason seems to be that line 606 in Makefile.in is:

info_misc=`cd $${thisdir}/doc/misc; ${MAKE} echo-info | sed '/ing directory/d'`; \

and the output of `${MAKE} echo-info` depends on the locale. Replacing the
above line by the following seems to solve my problem :

info_misc=`cd $${thisdir}/doc/misc; LANG=C ${MAKE} echo-info | sed '/ing directory/d'`; \

(to be honest, I did not test from scratch, but I changed the Makefile
and it succeeded).

Also, I've been seeing this error for some time, but never had a deeper
look before now.

Regards,

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2012-08-29 on geodiff-mac3
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu'
 '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--disable-dependency-tracking'
 '--program-suffix=-emacs-24' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../lib'
 '--with-gameuser=games' '--without-compress-info'
 '--disable-maintainer-mode' '--without-hesiod' '--without-kerberos'
 '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus' '--without-gnutls'
 '--without-xml2' '--without-selinux' '--without-wide-int'
 '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--without-ns' '--without-gconf'
 '--without-gsettings' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif'
 '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm'
 '--with-imagemagick' '--without-xft' '--without-libotf'
 '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=no'
 'GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.2' 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native -pipe -ggdb'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t