Subject: Re: bug#13133: 24.2.90; scroll-conservatively is too coarse a setting

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 08:30:14 +0200

> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:29:40 +0400
> 
> I think this value is used in contexts that are different enough to
> behave differently in this respect.
> 
> Examples:
> 1) I want help-button-action to bring me to the function's definition,
> and I generally want in the middle of the screen. Same for imenu, etc.
> 2) I really don't want to see empty space after the contents in the
> compilation window. But as much as half of the window may be empty right
> after compilation because of the point recentering.
> 3) Ideally, if I move around with next/previous-line, I don't want
> sudden jumps and recenterings. Same thing with beginning/end-of-defun
> (so setting scroll-conservatively to a value larger than 0 is not a real
> solution).

I'm sorry, but the problem you describing is entirely unclear to me.
You didn't say what value, if any, did you set scroll-conservatively
to, nor if you have any other scroll-* variables customized to
non-default values.  If you don't customize anything, Emacs always
re-centers when point goes out of sight.  When point is re-centered, I
don't think you can ever have half-window of empty space, because of
the way re-centering works.

Given this lack of information, I don't understand how you get the
adverse effects in your 3 examples.  Please elaborate, perhaps
separately about each of the examples.

Thanks.