Subject: bug#13119: closed (Re: bug#13119: cp --no-preserve=mode exits 1 since coreutils 8.20)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 16:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#13119: cp --no-preserve=mode exits 1 since coreutils 8.20

which was filed against the coreutils package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13119: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13119
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13119: cp --no-preserve=mode exits 1 since coreutils 8.20
From: Bernhard Voelker <[email-masked]>
To: Pádraig Brady <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Florian Pritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 17:32:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 12/09/2012 01:48 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> The patch looks perfect.

Thanks for the review. Pushed:
http://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/commit/?id=62543570

Marking the bug as "done".

Have a nice day,
Berny

Subject: cp --no-preserve=mode exits 1 since coreutils 8.20
From: Florian Pritz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 21:43:47 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I've used the following code in an update script. I don't want cp to
change permission since the target directory has default ACLs in place
that will set the correct permissions, but I want to keep timestamps so
once upon a time I added "--preserve=timestamp
--nopreserve=mode,ownership". I've tested without mode now and it seems
permission are fine.

mkdir a
touch a/a
cp -rfT --preserve=timestamps --no-preserve=mode,ownership a b

If I remove mode from the arguments to --no-preserve it exits 0, but if
you have it it exits 1 and doesn't print anything. It worked in
coreutils 8.19 (exit code 0) even though it might not actually do
anything. If it's intended behaviour you should at least print some kind
of error message.

The cause of this change is commit
24ebca61a3a0f10d6cd2800b188b3c034d1c4755 but it doesn't say anything
about changing the exit code.

-- 
Florian Pritz