Subject: RE: bug#13113: 24.3.50; `x-create-frames' raises error trying to eval `directory-files' (???)

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 13:36:48 -0800

> > >> I added a call to `(debug)' in a section of my code that is
> > >> eval'd during application of a completion function for 
> file names.
> 
> Granted, I saw that, as I've skimmed through the backtrace you posted.
> 
> But having file-name completion in the backtrace does not yet mean the
> recursive call I was talking about materialized.  What would need to
> have happened is that in the middle of searching some directory, some
> Lisp would need to be called that invoked another search in some
> (maybe other) directory.  That is not a frequent occurrence.

I see.  I don't know whether that happened.  But could well have, within the
internal file-name completion code.  I was testing with input "~" (i.e. not a
file name in the default directory), so it might well have gotten to a point
where it checked the files in my home dir, though the completion was initiated
in a subdir.

That btw is not a rare occurrence at all.  Dunno whether it corresponds to what
you are describing, but it is not rare for a user to change the minibuffer input
to an absolute file name in some directory other than the one where the command
was invoked.

HTH, but I doubt it. ;-)