Subject: Re: bug#13113: 24.3.50; `x-create-frames' raises error trying to eval `directory-files' (???)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 23:28:16 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:22:24 -0800
> 
> > Well, the above snippet calls directory-files later on, which is the
> > call that barfed.  This is one API that invokes directory traversal --
> > a function that reads and returns all the file names in a directory.
> > Another example is directory-files-and-attributes.  Also, any
> > file-name completion needs to traverse a directory.  If some Lisp form
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > in the call stack also called one of these functions, you could see
> > this "no error" error, according to my reading of the code.
> 
> Thx.  As I said:
> 
> >> I added a call to `(debug)' in a section of my code that is
> >> eval'd during application of a completion function for file names.

Granted, I saw that, as I've skimmed through the backtrace you posted.

But having file-name completion in the backtrace does not yet mean the
recursive call I was talking about materialized.  What would need to
have happened is that in the middle of searching some directory, some
Lisp would need to be called that invoked another search in some
(maybe other) directory.  That is not a frequent occurrence.