Subject: Re: bug#13112: 24.2.90; The cygw32 build should disable X11

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 19:09:01 -0500

On 12/8/2012 1:37 PM, Burton Samograd wrote:
> I didn't realize that cygw32 meant that you use the --with-w32 options.
> Cygw32 was something I had never heard of and I thought it just meant
> the regular cygwin builds.
>
> I don't think that use of emacs through X11 on windows is a hugely
> common occurance

If you build emacs on any POSIXish system, it uses X11 (and GTK+) by 
default, provided the builder has the necessary libraries installed. 
Cygwin is no exception.  You have to specify a configure option to make 
it do something different.  For example, --with-x=no creates a non-GUI 
version of emacs, and --with-w32 creates a version that uses the native 
Windows GUI for display instead of X11.  It's this build that has been 
referred to as the cygw32 build on the emacs-devel mailing list.  In the 
Cygwin distribution, this build produces what's called the emacs-w32 
package, as of about a week ago.

Ken