Subject: bug#13112: 24.2.90; The cygw32 build should disable X11

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 07:23:44 -0500

On 12/8/2012 6:29 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> So let's start from scratch.  Can you give a detailed, step-by-step
>> procedure for reproducing the problem?  I'd like to see if I can
>> reproduce it.
>
> I'm not near any system running Windows, so I can't test it myself, but
> I hope the following will do:
>
> 1. Nix all configuration files, then start emacs-X11 and set the default
> font to "DejaVu Sans Mono" and "Save Options".  Check that it got saved in
> the "(custom-set-faces" section in the appropriate init file.

I've done that, and I now have a ~/.emacs with the following contents:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
  )
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
  '(default ((t (:family "DejaVu Sans Mono" :foundry "unknown" :slant 
normal :weight normal :height 113 :width normal)))))

And I've moved ~/.Xdefaults and /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp out of the 
way.  ps shows no processes except mintty and bash.

> 2. Do not start X11 or dbus.  From a freshly started mintty, start
> emacs-w32 so that it reads the configuration file with the default font.
> It should start with whatever font is the first one in your Windows font
> list instead of the default monospace font it would use when started
> with "-Q".  Now try to select File->Open from the menu bar.

$ emacs-w32 &

emacs-w32 opens in a new window.  Options -> Set Default Font shows that 
emacs is using DejaVu Sans Mono-11.  File -> Open works fine.

I wonder why emacs-w32 finds DejaVu Sans Mono on my system but not on 
yours?  I guess that's not really relevant to this bug, but it does mean 
that I can't currently reproduce the problem and so I can't debug it. 
If you can consistently reproduce it, I think you might have to do it 
under gdb (or attach gdb when emacs hangs) and see if you can figure out 
what's going on.

I did reproduce the hang two nights ago (with different steps), but I 
was tired and making mistakes, and I don't remember exactly what I did.

I know from previous discussions that you use tcsh as your shell.  Could 
there be something in your tcsh configuration files that's interfering? 
  Or is there anything in your environment that could explain this? 
Maybe you should try this from a bash shell and a clean environment.  If 
you want to send me your cygcheck output off list, I can see if I spot 
any obvious differences between your system and mine.

Ken