Subject: bug#13112: 24.2.90; The cygw32 build should disable X11

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 16:32:15 -0500

On 12/7/2012 2:18 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Glenn Morris writes:
>> Maybe you could summarize what the actual problem is, then.
>
> The problem, as far as I have been able to determine, is that my init
> file set a default font that does only exist in X11 but not Windows, so
> it was illegal for the cygw32 build, but somehow that managed to sneak
> past Emacs' guards and apparently activated X11 code paths that should
> not have been in there to begin with.  This then made Emacs hang
> whenever it should display UI dialogs (like the file chooser).
>
> Interestingly if dbus was started then somehow everything kept working
> (I had to manually switch the font from the first in the list, which
> happened to be Arial, to something fixed-width).  If I remove the
> default font customization in my .emacs or arrange for that font to be a
> Windows font (or simply start "emacs -Q"), then it does not matter
> whether or not dbus has been started, so I'd say it is a red herring as
> far as this bug report is concerned.
>
> I'm using the test version that Ken has provided, so I can't answer any
> questions on how the build has been configured.

The configure options can be seen in my original bug report.

It turns out that I must have done something stupid when I claimed that 
HAVE_GSETTINGS and HAVE_GCONF were defined.  I can no longer reproduce 
that, so Glenn is right.  At this point I don't know whether or not 
there is an emacs bug here.  I'm sorry for the confusion I caused.

So let's start from scratch.  Can you give a detailed, step-by-step 
procedure for reproducing the problem?  I'd like to see if I can 
reproduce it.

Ken