Subject: Re: bug#13110: 24.1; Problem chaining archive-mode and tar-mode.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 10:02:19 +0200

Mihir <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was editing a debian binary package (.deb). Finding the file opens it
> in archive-mode, then finding the file 'data.tar.gz' opens it in
> tar-mode. I proceeded to edit the file, which produced a warning message
> reminding me to go and save the buffer for 'data.tar.gz'. However, when
> I attempted to save the buffer for 'data.tar.gz', I got an error message
> saying, "Symbol's value as variable is void: archive-ar-write-file-member".

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got little response at
the time.)

I tried reproducing this in Emacs 28, but was unable to.  Instead I got
various variations on

---
archive-*-write-file-member: Updating was unsuccessful (1)
---

which seems to be the correct response, since Emacs doesn't support
editing ar (i.e., .deb) files.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no