Subject: Re: bug#13109: 24.1; flyspell highlights words containing curly quotes which ispell-buffer accepts

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 21:15:44 +0100

On 11 December 2012 23:07, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >> `ispell-aspell-find-dictionary' reads the ispell data from
> This fix means that aspell developers added a mapping from
> 2019 (RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK) to 27 (APOSTROPHE)
> in their character `compat' table.  This explains why
> `ispell-buffer' does work while `ispell-word' and `flyspell' don't.
>
> `ispell-word' and `flyspell' still use the information from
> /usr/lib/aspell/en.dat to parse the buffer to find the next word to check,
> and fail because they don't use the `compat' mappings from iso-8859-1.cmap.
>

This finally annoyed me sufficiently that I decided I wanted a workaround.
Fortunately, this is easy, as it merely involves reapplying a version of
the fix I used to use when ispell-buffer didn't work. I now have the
following line in my custom.el:

 '(ispell-local-dictionary-alist (quote (("british" "[[:alpha:]]"
"[^[:alpha:]]" "'’" t ("-d" "en_GB") nil utf-8))))

I've copied the default settings and added a curly single quote to the list
of permitted "other characters". I imagine one can do the same for other
languages. It's ugly (principally because it copies rather than overwriting
information) but that information (the other entries in the record) doesn't
change often, so it'll do until a more comprehensive solution is applied.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org