Subject: bug#13103: 24.3.50; Trunk --with-ns eats 100% CPU

From: Didier Verna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:41:03 +0100

Hello,

the Emacs trunk eats 100% CPU on one of my cores at startup, when
compiled --with-ns. In fact, I discovered that this is the case until I
do something network'ish, like start Gnus or the emacs server. Then, the
CPU usage goes back to "normal".

This reminds me of a gethostname problem we had in XEmacs ages
ago. FWIW, this doesn't happen if I compile --with-x --without-ns (the
rest being identical). on the same machine. This doesn't happen either
with a 24.2 tarball compiled with either configuration.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2012-12-03 on scofield.lrde.epita.fr
Bzr revision: 111073 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-ns' '--enable-link-time-optimization'
 '--x-includes=/opt/X11/include' '--x-libraries=/opt/X11/lib''

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
o u r SPC t e ' l e ' c h a r g e r SPC l e s SPC p 
a r o l e s , SPC e t SPC l a SPC b a n d e SPC i n 
s t r u m e n t a l e SPC <backspace> , SPC h i s t 
o i r e SPC d e SPC v o u s SPC e n t r a i ^ n e r 
SPC u n SPC p e u . . . <return> <return> s-v <return> 
s-v <return> <return> F a i t e s - m o i SPC s i g 
n e SPC s i SPC v o u s SPC a v e z SPC d e s SPC p 
r o b l e ` m e s SPC p o u r SPC o u v r i r SPC d 
<backspace> c e s SPC f i c h i e r s . <return> <up> 
<return> <down> C-d <help-echo> <return> <return> <up> 
T r o i s , SPC q u a t <backspace> a a a a t r e SPC 
! C-a <return> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-k 
C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-x i . g n u s <tab> s i <tab> 
d e f <tab> <return> <down> <down> C-SPC <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-w <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> 
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<triple-wheel-down> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> 
<triple-wheel-up> C-c C-c x q l s g n SPC SPC q l s 
g g n SPC q SPC n q SPC q SPC d d q l s M-x r e p o 
r t - e m a c s <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
name mismatch: "XEmacs Beta Testers" changed to "XEmacs Beta Discussion"
Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
nnimap read 0k from imap.gmail.com
Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules [2 times]
Saving file /Users/didier/.newsrc...
Wrote /Users/didier/.newsrc
Saving /Users/didier/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /Users/didier/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /Users/didier/.newsrc.eld
Saving /Users/didier/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow warnings emacsbug crm thingatpt cus-edit dired jka-compr
find-func debug mailalias smtpmail sendmail ispell pp gnus-draft rfc1345
quail help-mode footnote misearch multi-isearch compface gnus-fun
bbdb-gui bbdb-hooks smiley ansi-color gnus-cite flow-fill gnus-dup
mule-util sort shr-color color shr browse-url gnus-async gnus-bcklg
vc-git qp gnus-ml gnus-topic mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache
url-auth url-handlers nnrss xml mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse url-vars nndoc nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnimap utf7 gnutls nnml
parse-time bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr epa-file epa derived epg netrc
network-stream auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache spam spam-stat bbdb-com advice help-fns message-utils gnus-uu
yenc gnus-msg gnus-diary gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap nndiary gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win server rcfiles
slime-autoloads rcfiles-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site info
easymenu nlinum-autoloads package saveplace disp-table milonga-theme
cl-macs gv paren gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit whitespace cus-start cus-load cl nadvice cl-lib
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)

-- 
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

EPITA/LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire, 94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France
Tel. +33 (0)1 44 08 01 85       Fax. +33 (0)1 53 14 59 22