Subject: bug#13094: Problem with emacsclient not raising frame is back -- regression

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:50:16 -0500

Hi,

Eli asked for a clear reproducible recipe not referenced in older reports:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-01/msg00627.html

So here is the clear recipe consolidated in this bug report:

0. On MS Windows open up at least one application so that you have
   at least one Window on the screen.
1. C:\emacs-24.2.92\bin\runemacs.exe -Q

   When the Emacs frame appears, position it so that it is on top
   of the an application you previously opened.

2. M-x server-start
3. Iconify Emacs
4. From a MS Windows command prompt, type the following (on one line):

  C:\emacs-24.3.50\bin\emacsclient.exe -n
      --eval "(select-frame-by-name \"emacs@<SYSTEM>\")"

  where <SYSTEM> is your system name so that NAME matches the name of
  the Emacs titlebar.

  Emacs should now be deiconified, at the forefront (raised), and ready
  for input.

5. Click on the MS Window command prompt and execute step 4 again

You should then notice that Emacs does NOT come to the forefront (top-most
raised Window) but that the MS Windows command prompt Window is still
selected after step 4.

You should also see that the Gnu Emacs (tile?) at the bottom of the screen
"blinks" but the Emacs frame is not raised and selected.

[FWIW, if I use the emacsclient.exe from Lennart's patched version:

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-03 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

against the latest Gnu Emacs pretest available to me (Bzr revision: 111199)
or the trunk version (Bzr revision 111604), it works as expected.]

Thanks.