Subject: Re: bug#13088: stack overflow while compiling

From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 14:26:51 +0100

On Sat 08 Dec 2012 22:44, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <[email-masked]> writes:

> tail-call 2000+ argument function which is not supported in guile :-)

This should be supported.  Just fixed this in stable-2.0.

> I suggest that we close this bug or perhaps add a feature request for
> growing stacks.
>
> An alternate feature request is to have some way to tell guile the size
> of the stack at start up.

In this case I agree, there is no bug in the expander or in the
compiler.  We should be able to grow stacks, but that is tricky with
stable-2.0.  Ideally we would be able to link different stack segments
together with overflow/underflow handlers, as in the Dybvig paper, but
that would require some experimentation that would best be done on
master.

I pushed a patch based on yours to add a GUILE_STACK_SIZE environment
variable.  I hate environment variables but hopefully we can remove it
in 2.2.

Thanks for looking into this!

Andy
-- 
http://wingolog.org/