Subject: Re: bug#13088: stack overflow while compiling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:16:09 +0100

-[ Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 10:44:15PM +0100, Stefan Israelsson Tampe ]----
> The whole macro-expansion to tree-il in psyntax is not done in a tail call
> manner which limits the sizes
> of code tree's that we can compile. Although it would be interesting to
> know how to code the
> psyntax expand algorithm in such a way that we don't risk blowing the
> stack, I think we
> will be better served by waiting for better stack algorithm that implement
> growing stacks.

If it was not obvious already I must confess I'm ignorant about the internals
of guile (and of any other scheme compiler), so what I will say is probably
irrelevant. but I changed the cond into the equivalent if forms, which
I believe are not macros, but the result is the same (stack overflow).

> An alternate feature request is to have some way to tell guile the size of
> the stack at start up.

If though that was what '(debug-set! stack x)' was for, but this does not
seams to change anything. I also tried changing stack limits with ulimit
to no avail.

> For now anyone that need to compile large functions the only option, I
> believe, is to change the stack size in the code
> and recompile.

Any hint on how to do that specifically for guile, beyond the above
ulimit/setrlimit?