Subject: bug#13086: 24.2.50; Emacs seems to hang at w32proc.c:1126

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 11:48:29 -0500

On 12/7/2012 1:46 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 12:57:54 -0800
>> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
>> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>
>> Well, as I said, I'd rather that the bug got fixed.
>> But if it's a common bug on Windows platforms, and we can't
>> easily fix it, perhaps we should add some #ifdef WINDOWSNT
>> code that ignores the problem along the lines of your suggestion.
>
> I wasn't thinking about Windows at all, as a matter of fact.  The
> current bug on Windows will soon be solved, one way or another.  I was
> thinking about Posix platforms inflooping when waitpid returns ECHILD,
> when the build is without assertions (which is the default).

I haven't been following this thread closely, but could any of this 
discussion be relevant to the emacs-24 branch?

I'm asking because two Cygwin users have reported that Emacs 24.2 
sometimes "hangs", and that there is at least one zombie process when 
this happens; see

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-11/msg00101.html
   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-12/msg00114.html
   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-12/msg00078.html

I've been trying to get more information from these users.  If you think 
this could be related to the current bug (which seems to be about the 
trunk in spite of the subject line), I'll send the information when I 
get it.  Otherwise I'll file a new bug report.

Ken