Subject: Re: bug#13086: 24.2.50; Emacs seems to hang at w32proc.c:1126

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 18:42:05 +0200

> Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 07:22:29 +0000
> From: Stephen Powell <[email-masked]>
> 
> I'm using a checkout of the latest trunk.  While reading mail in gnus
> emacs seems to hang using 100% cpu.  It is easy to reproduce.  I have a
> live gdb session with the hang.

100% CPU usage is not a hang, it's probably an infloop.  Can you use
the 'finish' command, as described in etc/DEBUG, to find out where it
loops?

> Thread 1 (Thread 7752.0x1bb0):
> #0  waitpid (pid=5528, status=0x0, options=1) at w32proc.c:1126

Line 1126 of w32proc.c is the opening brace of the waitpid function.
I find it hard to believe it is looping there ;-)

So it's probably looping in the caller's loop, in get_child_status.
Can you see if that's the case, and if so, what value does waitpid
return to its caller?  Is that zero, by chance?

Also, is the process whose PID is 5528 still running?  If so, what
process is it?  Or is it a network connection?

Thanks.