Subject: bug#13081: closed (Re: bug#13081: 24.3.50; doc of `compare-strings' says nothing about the compare function used)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#13081: 24.3.50; doc of `compare-strings' says nothing about the compare function used

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13081: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13081
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13081: 24.3.50; doc of `compare-strings' says nothing about the compare function used
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:44:38 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The doc mentions case-sensitivity, and it says what the function does if
> the specified portions match etc.  But it says NOTHING (apart from
> possibly ignoring case) about what "matching" means.  Is lexicographic
> order used?

Fixed, thanks.  (The other issues too.)

Subject: 24.3.50; doc of `compare-strings' says nothing about the compare function used
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:35:28 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc mentions case-sensitivity, and it says what the function does if
the specified portions match etc.  But it says NOTHING (apart from
possibly ignoring case) about what "matching" means.  Is lexicographic
order used?
 
How can you document a function about comparing two sequences without
defining/mentioning the helper function that is used to compare two
elements, one from each sequence?

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-12-03 on MS-W7-DANI
Bzr revision: 111077
[email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/include -Ic:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/src
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libpng-1.2.37-lib/include -Ic:/emacs/libs/zlib-1.2.5
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.9.2-1-lib/include'