Subject: bug#13075: fifo unlimited buffer size?

From: Peng Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 21:19:02 -0600

Hi,

I have the following script. When the number to the right of 'seq' is
large (as 100000 in the example), the script will hang. But when the
number is small (say 1000), the script can be finished correctly. I
suspect that the problem is that there is a limit on the buffer size
for fifo. Is it so? Is there a way to make the following script work
no matter how large the number is? Thanks!

~/linux/test/gnu/gnu/coreutils/mkfifo/tee$ cat main2.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

rm -rf a b c
mkfifo a b c
seq 100000 | tee a > b &
sort -k 1,1n a > c &
join -j 1 <(awk 'BEGIN{OFS="\t"; FS="\t"} {print $1, $1+10}' < c)
<(awk 'BEGIN{OFS="\t"; FS="\t"}{print $1, $1+20}' < b)

-- 
Regards,
Peng