Subject: Using `gnus-treat-fill-long-lines': many problems

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 14:50:07 +0100

Hi,

I wanted to set `gnus-treat-fill-long-lines' on a per-group basis, after
I had read "4.4 Customizing Articles" in the manual.  It took 3 hours to
have a look and find out several reasons why this doesn't work as
intended.  These reasons are:

1.  It doesn't work to use a binding to `gnus-treat-fill-long-lines' as
a group paramenter.  It is just ignored.  It is even ignored if I push
gnus-treat-fill-long-lines to `gnus-newsgroup-variables'.  The value is
always nil, in any buffer.

Something like that should be possible.  It is very likely that users
will want to configure such a treatment setting per group.

2.  Only a (global) value of t for `gnus-treat-fill-long-lines' has an
effect.  Setting it to an integer, which is also allowed according to
the documentation, doesn't work for me.

3.  If I want the setting to take effect for html messages, which is a
IMHO quite common wish, if have to do this:

   (push "text/html" gnus-article-treat-types)

Note that `gnus-article-treat-types' is not a user option, and its
documentation consist of three words.

Maybe I overlooked something or tried the wrong things - then please
tell me.  But I think this could work better.

Thanks,

Michael.

Gnus v5.13
GNU Emacs 24.2.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-11-30 on drachen
200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.1 ready (posting ok)
101 Capability list:
VERSION 2
IMPLEMENTATION INN 2.5.1
AUTHINFO USER
HDR
LIST ACTIVE ACTIVE.TIMES DISTRIB.PATS HEADERS NEWSGROUPS OVERVIEW.FMT
OVER
POST
READER
STARTTLS
.