Subject: RE: bug#1305: [External] : bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 16:55:55 +0000

>
> Have the passive voicers actually tried it?
>

Yes, and I tried it, too, and after trying a solution where you have to 
wait and another where you don't have to wait I agree that this slight 
delay is a bit annoying.  As I just said to Stefan M, my feeling is that 
this delay is more annoying when flashing with a background color instead 
of flashing with an inverse video effect.

>
> In that case, change the default to 0.02 sec or whatever the passive 
> voices consider optimal.
>

The flash can't be too short, otherwise it isn't visible anymore...

>
> What's needed - regardless of what default behavior is chosen, is a 
> simple way for users to customize things.
>

It's already there, and it's already used: ring-bell-function.  What is 
(if I'm not mistaken) discussed in this thread is what a better default 
would be / whether another default behavior would be better.