Subject: Re: bug#1305: [External] : bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 16:48:51 +0000

>> You may have seen earlier in this thread that having to wait for the 
>> end of the animation to see the error message is not considered 
>> optimal.
>
> That's the current behavior of `visual-bell` and I can't remember anyone 
> complaining about it.  So maybe the complaint you refer to was due to a 
> slightly longer duration of the animation?
>

Ah yes, indeed!  I don't know why I didn't see this when Stefan K made 
that objection.  OTOH, now that I'm using the patch in which there is no 
such delay (except when 'ding' is used), I agree with him that it's better 
to see the error message immediately.  Perhaps this delay is less visible, 
from a psychological viewpoint, with an inverse video flash?

>
> [ When I saw that complaint, it rang quite right to me; I thought "yeah, 
> of course the error message should be visible during the flash, just as 
> is the case with the GNU/Linux visual-bell I use and love", and then I 
> hit `C-g` and saw that the message only appears after the flashing ;-) ]
>

I'm reassured to see that I wasn't alone to err in the darkness of 
ignorance ;-)