Subject: Re: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 02:28:49 +0300

On 01.05.2021 02:19, Gregory Heytings wrote:
> Amusingly, it's the only "better default" that isn't described in the 
> README, and against which there's a open issue: 
> https://github.com/technomancy/better-defaults/issues/27 .

Have you read the comments? People complain about macOS behavior, and 
the first proposed "fix" was to make it work close to how it works on 
GNU/Linux (except flashing the mode-line, probably because that is 
easier to implement).

Hence the reply: "that's strange; the behavior you describe is how it 
already works for me".

>> A moving reddish shape should bring enough attention, but of course 
>> different users have different levels of sensitivity (as the 
>> discussion in bug#47574 has shown). Only a practical experiment can tell.
>>
> 
> Moving???  Why do you think this would be better than simply blinking 
> the echo area?

"Blinking" is also movement. I don't have a specific animation in mind.