Subject: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 01:22:24 +0300

On 30.04.2021 10:09, Gregory Heytings wrote:
> And AFAICS this is also what most popular starter kits do. So at least 
> to me it's not clear whether it is widely used.

better-defaults is an old project which has been there for at least a 
decade in some form (and has a fair amount of stars on its archived 
repository on github: https://github.com/technomancy/better-defaults). 
It's the original "emacs starter kit".

So yes, it must be widely used.

>> But it would be interesting to try some icon-based animation in the 
>> echo area, like the red circle on VSCode's pic.
>>
> 
> You mean, displaying such a red circle before the error message in the 
> echo area?  Not sure that would be visible enough.

Something like that, with a blinking or some brief "busy" animation.

A moving reddish shape should bring enough attention, but of course 
different users have different levels of sensitivity (as the discussion 
in bug#47574 has shown). Only a practical experiment can tell.