Subject: Re: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 06:51:47 +0000

>>> I can't really say whether it's better or worse, with visible-bell t 
>>> on Windows the frame briefly flashes (with the FlashWindow function), 
>>> a bit like a flash in a terminal.  Among the three visible-bell t 
>>> behaviors, it's the best one IMO, in the sense that it's visible and 
>>> not intrusive.
>>
>> Is it possible to replicate on other systems?
>
> Just so we are on the same page: FlashWindow on MS-Windows doesn't 
> necessarily flash the frame.  Or maybe I don't understand what Gregory 
> meant by that.
>

Yes, "flash" is perhaps not the best word here, perhaps "vibrate" is 
better.

And no, I don't think it is possible to replicate that behavior on other 
systems, it's a "window manager" primitive, which AFAIU exists on Windows 
but not on macOS or GNU/Linux.