Subject: Re: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 17:38:05 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> So from my POV, your proposal is not at that level of polish of VS
> Code/Atom either.
>
> That's also why I asked whether somebody knows a corresponding UI
> element/animation in either of these editors we could, uh, "get inspired
> by".

I installed VSCode to see what they do there.  But I failed to make it
flash or beep at me, or even present an error.  Does anyone know any way
to do that?

BTW, VSCode reasonably does not beep just because you reach the
beginning or end of the buffer, heh.

(BTW#2, I tried "searching" the Emacs sources [i.e. grepping] which made
the entire program freeze on me for half a minute.  So we are not the
only ones who sometimes fail to be asynchronous enough.)

>> I can't really say whether it's better or worse, with visible-bell t on
>> Windows the frame briefly flashes (with the FlashWindow function), a bit
>> like a flash in a terminal.  Among the three visible-bell t behaviors,
>> it's the best one IMO, in the sense that it's visible and not intrusive.
>
> Is it possible to replicate on other systems?

It would be useful if someone could post a screenshot for those of us
with no access to any Windows machines.