Subject: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 20:03:48 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> gdb) print tty->TS_visible_bell 
>> $1 = 0x555555da95c3 "\033[?5h$<100/>\033[?5l"
>
> Then this should produce the same effect as "tput flash", I think.

You'd think so.  Hm...  If I do a:

$ tput flash > /tmp/a

I get a file with:

\033[?5h\033[?5l

(Raw ESC char translated here in this email.)  Which is similar to the
string we're outputting.  cat-ing that file does not flash the terminal
here, though, so I'm wondering whether the ... shell?  is doing
something weird on this laptop.  (Doing the same with, say, "tput cup 5
20" to a file, and then cat-ing that file, works as expected.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no