Subject: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 09:30:28 -0500

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

>> For my money, the Doom idea, to flash the mode line in a different
>> color, is the most good looking one.  It is also hard to miss, and
>> doesn't risk hiding or obscuring the minibuffer.
>
> IMO having a default bell that changes the the mode-line on every error is
> a recipe for disaster.  There are too many packages that do all kinds of
> stuff with the mode-line.

That would just be bugs to be fixed though, right?  Most likely in those
packages themselves.

>> I have used this for a couple of days and find it strictly better than
>> both the default behavior on GNU/Linux with inverse video and flashing
>> the minibuffer background.
>>
>
> Did you try the patch I sent?

Yes, of course.  I provided detailed comments in a previous post.