Subject: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:40:53 +0300

On 19.04.2021 15:33, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> No, only the foreground of the mode-line.
> 
> I haven't seen this in action, but that sounds like a sensible variation
> on visible-bell -- and should work well on most systems.

While I like to have alternatives, and the ideas are good, the color 
(non-monochrome) flashes are both more noticeable than flashing top and 
bottom lines of the frame with inverse-video, and are likely to clash 
with different color themes out there.

If it was possible to port the (intended) behavior of the GNU/Linux 
version to the other ports, that could be ideal (we don't hear many 
complaints about it).

The popular distributions out there are made by developers using macOS. 
You say the notification is different there (I haven't seen it). Perhaps 
it's indeed too much.