Subject: Re: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 15:39:04 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Oh, I don't use any of that stuff.  I have my own custom .xinitrc
> instead with as little stuff as possible in it.  So I'm not sure how I
> could even set such a setting.  I suppose it's some gconf stuff taking
> place behind the scenes...?

I poked around, and it's "Settings -> Sound -> System Sounds" in Gnome
Shell that I had switched to a volume of zero.  

> It is my understanding that Emacs is unusual in using the system bell
> though.  It would be better to avoid it completely, even when that
> setting is on.

I turned the volume up, and saying "lTAB" in the shell (in a Console
window) then beeped audibly.  So the default here is to make sounds.
And I just checked the same on my Apple laptop -- the shell there also
beeps a lot.

(I haven't checked whether any other programs beep at me.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no