Subject: Re: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:32:14 -0500

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's a Debian/bullseye laptop with Gnome Shell -- so I guess it's a
> Gnome Shell setting?  (The first thing I do with any machine is switch
> off any "alert" beeps.)

Oh, I don't use any of that stuff.  I have my own custom .xinitrc
instead with as little stuff as possible in it.  So I'm not sure how I
could even set such a setting.  I suppose it's some gconf stuff taking
place behind the scenes...?

Searching online shows this might be it:

sudo su gdm -c "gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds
--type bool false"

But I don't have gconftool-2 so my Debian bullseye machine is probably
missing some prerequisites.

> I think this might point toward not doing anything about the default --
> people who don't like beeps will switch them off on the OS level.  That
> is, flipping the default will make `C-g' more intrusive for people
> who've already made a decision to ignore beeps.

It is my understanding that Emacs is unusual in using the system bell
though.  It would be better to avoid it completely, even when that
setting is on.

Would it perhaps make sense to make visual-bell support that setting
instead?