Subject: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 15:13:51 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> However, I just noticed that an "emacs -Q" doesn't beep at all on this
>> machine -- because I've switched off all "alert" beeps in the OS
>> interface.  So `C-g' just says "Quit" in the echo area, and nothing
>> else.
>
> What machine is that?

It's a Debian/bullseye laptop with Gnome Shell -- so I guess it's a
Gnome Shell setting?  (The first thing I do with any machine is switch
off any "alert" beeps.)

>> So in this instance, defaulting `visible-bell' to "on" would make `C-g'
>> more intrusive/obnoxious than previously...  which is the opposite
>> effect than what was originally discussed in this bug report.
>
> Can anything be done about that, though?

I think this might point toward not doing anything about the default --
people who don't like beeps will switch them off on the OS level.  That
is, flipping the default will make `C-g' more intrusive for people
who've already made a decision to ignore beeps.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no