Subject: Re: Beeping

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:48:07 +0100

2009/11/27 Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>:
>> Maybe the problem is a bit different. There is currently no dedicated
>> mechanism in Emacs to go to command level. Instead a lot of functions
>> throws an error when they want to go to command level.
>
>> Could we not implement something like (command-level) akin to (top-level)?
>
> I think there's a misunderstanding here.  Emacs usually tries to make
> sure commands do *something*, because it' good to return feedback.
> So when they don't, they often like to beep to indicate that they
> couldn't do what they were asked to do.

As an example of what I mean look at what windmove-left does when
there is no window to the left. It then raises an error.

If debug-on-error is true I then get a chance to debug my behaviour. I
am not sure that makes sense.

The behaviour is different, but I think it should be similar to what
scroll-down/up does when it reaches the border. I think there should
be a unified behaviour. Making the visual bell default seems good, but
why not implement it as `command-level'?

> I dislike the beep, so I always use the visual-bell instead.  I don't
> think turning the bell into nothing at all is a good option.  I'd rather
> try and address the reasons that prevent the visual-bell from being
> the default.
>
>
>        Stefan
>