Subject: Re: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bellinstead

From: "Jason Spiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 02:41:29 -0500

2008/11/11 Richard M. Stallman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > ...
> Sure it should.  You think it is an improvement, but I think the
> opposite.  Let's see what the users think.

Fair.

> > ...
> There may be a misunderstanding here.  Polls do not use this list.  We
> create a special address for people to send their responses to, and
> that address dumps everything into a file.
>
> When the deadline comes, someone reads all the responses and analyzes
> them.

Ah.  I stand corrected.

> > ...
> I think that is asking for trouble, as people may flame at each other
> and may edit each other's text.

Yes, there could be flaming.  And yes, editing each other's text is a
danger.  But the wiki's "history" command reduces this latter danger:
people can detect such tampering.

Still, rms, you have convinced me:  an email poll is better.  Dear
everybody:  Who will start the poll?