Subject: Re: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bellinstead

From: "Richard M. Stallman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 22:33:53 -0500

We should poll for which change?  Surely removing beeping from the
    trivial things like:

    * quit (C-g), and
    * moving the point off the end of the buffer, and
    * failing isearches

    should not require a poll.

Sure it should.  You think it is an improvement, but I think the
opposite.  Let's see what the users think.

    Also, I think email polls are imperfect, since they drastically
    increase list traffic.

There may be a misunderstanding here.  Polls do not use this list.  We
create a special address for people to send their responses to, and
that address dumps everything into a file.

When the deadline comes, someone reads all the responses and analyzes
them.

			    IMO a better alternative is to create a page
    on EmacsWiki and to ask people to add their Support or Oppose votes,
    with explanations, to a new paragraph at the bottom of the page,

I think that is asking for trouble, as people may flame at each other
and may edit each other's text.