Subject: bug#1305: Please disable the audible bell by default, to avoid discouraging newbies in crowded offices and elsewhere

From: "Jason Spiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:51:13 -0500

By default, Emacs makes an audible beep every time the user makes an
error.  It would be great if you could please change the default
either:

1.  To not make any audible or visible bell when the user makes an
error.  (This would be best.)

2.  Or to use a visible bell only.  (This would be an acceptable
alternative.  Plus, Emacs already knows how to show a visible bell.)

If you do not change the default, some Emacs newbies may decide not to
use Emacs, but to use other editors instead, perhaps non-Free ones.
Here are three reasons why they may decide that:

A.  Some users find that the beep is harsh and unpleasant to the ear.

B.  Most apps beep only when something very bad happens.  But Emacs
beeps even upon minor mistakes like scrolling past end of buffer, or
pressing an unassigned key.  It even beeps on non-mistakes like
pressing C-g.  The amount of beeping may make users uncomfortable.

C.  Some Emacs newbies try Emacs for the first time at the office.  At
the office, ten or more people may hear each beep.  The feeling of
having distracted coworkers may make users even more uncomfortable.

You might say, "So newbies should disable the beep themselves".  No.
They may not bother.

You might say, "But if not for the beep, users won't notice errors".
No.  They will notice.  Human eyes notice significant onscreen changes
(perhaps 3 words or more) easily.

Regards,
Jason Spiro