Subject: Re: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bellinstead

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:17:27 +0200

> Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 23:08:48 -0500
> From: "Jason Spiro" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Many people don't know how to turn the PC speaker beep lower or off.

I have difficulty believing this.  Almost every computer has speakers
nowadays, and every kid plays with them all the time.  I know my kids
do.

> And IMO its volume is too high by default.

The volume is not under Emacs control, it depends on how the system is
set up.

> > If you think there are currently too many places where Emacs beeps, try instead
> > to remove some of those beeps on a case-by-case basis. Don't just replace
> > beeping with flashing.
> 
> How do we remove them on a case-by case basis?  The beep from pressing
> C-g perhaps is possible to remove individually.  But how about the
> "End of buffer" one you get when you try to move the point past the
> end of the buffer?

I see no problem with dealing with each case individually.  Just grep
the C sources for `bitch_at_user' and `Fding', and the Lisp sources
for `ding'.