Subject: bug#1305: All code that currently beeps should use visual bellinstead

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 19:57:59 -0800

> All code that currently beeps should use visual bell instead
> 
> > Oh, that would be a clear "no", indeed.  Of course we'd 
> > replace it with
> > the visible-bell (and I suspect that OP also intended it that way).
> 
> I didn't intend it that way:  the visual bell is also annoying, though
> less annoying than the audible bell.  But fair enough.  :)  Retitling
> accordingly.

IIUC, that sounds terrible, to me. Today, one can simply turn off (or down) the
sound at the computer level and have zero distraction from the bell. That is not
unusual for users who share an office - it's not unlike turning down the volume
of a telephone ring.

This possibility of turning off or down the bell at the computer level should
not be removed. If Emacs just replaces the bell by the visible bell everywhere,
that will introduce lots of distraction. And unlike the bell, which has variable
volume, the visible bell is all-or-none.

What's wrong with leaving things as they have been since day one? Users who want
to turn off the bell can always do so, within Emacs or otherwise. Users should
be able to easily get any of these behaviors: (1) bell only, (2) visible bell
only, (3) bell and visible bell, (4) nothing. 

We should not systematically replace the bell by the visible bell just because
someone found the bell to be annoying. It's not difficult to turn off. Users
have been living with this option since the beginning.

Bell and visible bell should not really be regarded as replacements for each
other, in any case. They are two different ways to attract a user's attention.

And one is *not* less annoying than the other. At least not for all users in all
contexts. Each can be very annoying.

If you think there are currently too many places where Emacs beeps, try instead
to remove some of those beeps on a case-by-case basis. Don't just replace
beeping with flashing.