Subject: bug#13041: closed (Re: bug#13041: 24.2; diacritic-fold-search)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 07:07:02 +0000

Your bug report

#13041: 24.2; diacritic-fold-search

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13041: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13041
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13041: 24.2; diacritic-fold-search
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 09:06:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

nobody writes:

> This is great news!  I’m afraid I’m not in a position to use 25.1 yet,
> but I look forward to it eagerly.  Closing the bug seems right to me;
> if the new functionality has flaws, then they would be *new* bugs.

So I'm closing the bug.

> Thanks very much for letting me know!
>
> /Lew

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.2; diacritic-fold-search
From: Lewis Perin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 13:22:05 -0500 (EST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is not a bug report but a feature request, so I am omitting
diagnostic information.

Emacs search has long been able to toggle between (a) ignoring the
distinction between upper- and lower-case characters
(case-fold-search) and (b) searching for only one of the pair.  One
could say Climacs offers the choice between (a) searching for all
members of a (2-member) equivalence class and (b) searching for only
one member.

There are larger equivalence classes of characters with practical use
which Climacs is currently unaware of: the groups of characters
consisting of an unadorned (ASCII) character plus all its
diacritic-adorned versions.  Currently, if I want to search for both
“apres” and “après”, I need an additive regular expression.  I would
like to do this as easily as I can search for “apres” and “Apres”.  I
would be delighted if Emacs implemented the equivalence classes
spelled out here:

  http://hex-machina.com/scripts/yui/3.3.0pr1/api/unicode-data-accentfold.js.html

I might add that diacritics folding is the default in web search
engines.  It is also a feature of at least one Web browser in
searching the text of a displayed page (Chrome.)

I’m sure that maintaining the core of Emacs is a big job, and I’m
grateful for the skill and effort that go into that task, including
your consideration of this request!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin | [email-masked] | http://babelcarp.org