Subject: bug#13041: 24.2; diacritic-fold-search

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 08:20:39 -0800

> > > `ignore-diacritics' is misleading.  The variable would have 
> > > to be called `observe-decompositions' or something the like.
> > 
> > 1. "Observe decompositions" doesn't mean anything to me.  The verb
> > should probably be more active - what does it mean to observe the
> > char decompositions here?
> 
> What about "heed"?

"Respect" is a more common term with that meaning.

But the point (to me) is that we are not conveying much by that - too vague.
"Heed" meaning what?  Heed how?

Those are terms, like "treat", "handle" and "process" (verb), that are generally
signs, in computer science as elsewhere, of insufficient understanding or
laziness in communication.  They say essentially, "it does something".

Sometimes (not here though) such words can even be signals that the function in
question is a congeries of things that do not necessarily belong together.

We should be able to do better here.  If I understood better what the function
does I might be able to offer better name suggestions.