Subject: bug#1304: M-% not correctly interpreted.

From: Robert Dunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 19:40:27 +0100

I was advised to use this second address, as the bug-gnu-emacs address
bounced back to me.

Robert

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: M-% not correctly interpreted.
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:45:56 +0100
From: Robert Dunn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)

M-% (replace) returns M-1/2 on the message line at the bottom

All subsequent keystrokes produce strange characters.

The "%" character does appear properly in normal text.

Attached are two screenshots - one taken after the command M-% was
issued and one typing the same characters as before showing the change.

If there is anything else you need please ask.

Regards

Robert

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/22.2/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2008-09-12 on hammer22
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--with-gcc' '--with-pop'
'--without-hesiod' '--with-kerberos' '--with-kerberos5' '--with-leim'
'--with-xim' '--with-system-malloc' '--prefix=/usr'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
'--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--with-x' '--with-sound' '--with-xpm'
'--with-jpeg' '--with-tiff' '--with-gif' '--with-png'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--x-includes=/usr/include'
'--x-libraries=/usr/lib64:/usr/share/X11'
'--build=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu' 'build_alias=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu'
'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fstack-protector -g -D_GNU_SOURCE -std=gnu89 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing
-Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
-Wno-unprototyped-calls -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 	
-DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 ' 'LDFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
("/usr/bin/emacs")
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nxml-mode/rng-auto.el (source)...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Loading help-mode...done