Subject: Re: bug#13032: 24.3.50; Request: Provide a `delete-duplicate-lines' command

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:08:07 +0100

>>> It just occurred to me that we could also add an alias `uniq' that will
>>> call the command `delete-duplicate-lines' with non-nil ADJACENT arg.
>>>
>>> We already have aliases like `mkdir' for `make-directory',
>>> so the command `uniq' would be handy too.
>>
>> Fine with me.
>
> But the problem is that `uniq' might be confused with a similarly named
> feature `uniquify' that uniquifies buffer names.

Indeed.  That is the problem of using such ambiguous names.  FWIW, I
have no particular interest in this `uniq' alias.

>> BTW, I've just noticed that the command doesn't deactivate the mark
>> when there is no duplicate lines in the region.  Could that be fixed?
>
> This problem is not specific to `delete-duplicate-lines'.
> All similar functions like e.g. `delete-matching-lines',
> `delete-non-matching-lines' and `delete-blank-lines'
> behave the same way.

Indeed.  I filed bug #10056 because of this kind of problem.  I've
included these cases in that bug report.

Thank you.

-- 
Dani Moncayo