Subject: bug#13032: 24.3.50; Request: Provide a `delete-duplicate-lines' command

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 10:13:55 +0100

>> * I'm thinking that the ADJACENT argument is kinda unnecessary.  I
>> can't think of a use-case where someone wants to remove only the
>> _adjacent_ duplicate lines but not the ones which aren't adjacent.
>> So, I think that both the interface and the implementation could be
>> simplified by removing that argument.
>
> The ADJACENT argument is an optimization that doesn't require
> additional memory (to store previous lines in the cache).
> This is necessary when the user needs to delete duplicate lines
> in a large sorted file.

Ah, good point.  I guess that the optimization is twofold: in memory
and also in performance.  Then, IMO this should be explained in the
docstring, so that users know that they should use this feature when
running this command over a large chunk of lines.

Thank you.

-- 
Dani Moncayo