Subject: Re: bug#13026: Assume POSIX 1003.1-1988 or later for signal.h.

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 18:40:57 -0800

On 12/04/2012 11:17 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> This will need additions to lib/makefile.w32-in, to get the new
> modules to compile into libgnu.a.

I added enough so that I think it should compile, as trunk bzr
111151, and I'm marking this bug as fixed.  Someone with
Microsoft expertise should look at that as I expect more
needs to be added to the Microsoftish build procedure.

As an aside, it'd be nicer if lib/Makefile were computed more
automatically from lib/gnulib.mk on Microsoft platforms, so
that this sort of thing wouldn't require manual editing.

> The likes of "#ifdef SIGFOO" are not Autoconf tests.

Yes, but I was talking more about the Autoconf style, which is to
look for individual features rather than operating systems.  This
style tends to work better when porting among a large number of
platforms.  The style doesn't always require Autoconf help.
It's true that the style has some downsides too, but they're less
important in practice.  Here, in particular, I don't expect
many readers of the Emacs source code would think that
Emacs works only on POSIXish platforms, given all the
occurrences of "#ifdef WINDOWSNT" and "#ifdef DOS_NT" that
they'd find with even a casual perusal.