Subject: bug#13011: 24.2; Text flickering moving cursor with box around text enabled

From: mario giovinazzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:42:24 +0100

*** E-Mail body has been placed on clipboard, please paste it here! ***

The problem occurs when I customize hl-line enabling box around text
to make evident the current line.
The box around text (also 1 pixel) changes the inside text position
thus producing a vertical and horizontal flickering when I move the cursor.
Setting a box of width -1 (a negative number) stops the vertical
flickering but still remains the horizontal one.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-08-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
M-x C-y <return>

Recent messages:
Loading cua-base...done
Loading delsel...done
Loading hi-lock...done
Loading hl-line...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
.emacs has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time windmove cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt tempo-c-cpp tempo edmacro kmacro uniquify
advice help-fns advice-preload paren hl-line hi-lock delsel cua-base
cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)