Subject: bug#13010: 24.2; Gnus hangs getting mail

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:41:17 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not saying "everything" just one message between each server.
> I don't know about you, but I only have 4 servers here, so that just
> adds 3 messages to each `g', which seems pretty reasonable.

Well, no, that would be a lot more messages.  :-)  (But varying over
what kinds of backends they are, and what you've asked Gnus to fetch
from them...)

Gnus issues commands asynchronously to the servers and then waits on the
data from each of them.

If you switch on `gnus-backend-trace' you'll get a very partial subset
of the most important backend actions (i.e., the ones that typically
take some time).  I get 34 of these messages on hitting `g'.  But I
probably have more backends than you.

> Currently, Gnus often hangs on some nntp connection while the echo area
> might keep saying something like "received 34k from imap.bla.bla".

Yup.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen