Subject: Re: bug#13009: Logical line movement is illogical

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 05:13:26 +0100

Kelly Dean <[email-masked]> writes:

> Using 24.2 on X, not in a terminal emulator:
> emacs -Q
> (column-number-mode t)
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "DejaVu Sans")
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 90)
> (global-set-key '[S-up] 'previous-logical-line)
> (global-set-key '[S-down] 'next-logical-line)
> [ret] C-u 40 W [ret] C-u 40 i
> So you have 40 "W"s and 40 "i"s, and point is on column 40 at the end
> of the "i"s.
> Now press [up]. Point moves to the "W" at column 10, which is correct
> since visual line movement is the default.
> Now press [S-down]. Where should point go? If the rule is visual line
> movement, it should move to column 40 at the end of the "i"s. If the
> rule is to stay on the same column, it should move to the "i" at
> column 10. But it does neither; instead, it moves to the "i" at column
> 17. There's no way this is correct.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I tried reproducing this in Emacs 28 on Debian bullseye, but I'm unable
to.  After doing up/down, point is at the end if the "i" line, which
seems correct.

Are you still seeing this problem in more recent Emacs versions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no