Subject: bug#13001: Reporting potential bug | uname -p and uname -i return unknown on Debian

From: Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:51:33 -0500

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> the GNU version relies on the standard
> interfaces to do that (which they don't).

to be clearer, the interfaces coreutils relies on don't exist on
Linux, so it always issues "unknown"

> you can find the patch i've been keeping up-to-date in Gentoo:
> http://sources.gentoo.org/gentoo/src/patchsets/coreutils/8.20/003_all_coreutils-gentoo-uname.patch

in the past, i assumed this wasn't going anyways because coreutils did
not include any target-specific logic.  but i see it has since grown
__APPLE__ support, so maybe i can make a case for adding __linux__.

Paul: you were against this in the past [1], but in light of
594d5064c950fa1d99a9eafbd357c5f46320d002, can we reconsider ?  i don't
mind helping out with this particular can considering i'm going to be
doing it anyways ... not to mention every distro is running into the
same issue and patching it in their own unique/incomplete way.
-mike

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2005-09/msg00063.html