Subject: bug#12997: Add some way to mark autoloads as obsolete

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:22:34 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> It would be handy if there was a way to mark autoloads obsolete.
> Then if the relevant function/variable is accessed without the
> associated package being already loaded, a warning would be produced.
> (Either from the byte-compiler or via display-warning at the end of
> loading ~/.emacs.)

I may well be misunderstanding what you mean here, but if you

;;;###autoload
(defun foo ()
  (declare (obsolete nil "25.1"))

then that obsoletion form also makes it into the loaddefs file, so this
seems like it should already work?

Or is this something that's been fixed in the decade since the bug
report was opened?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no