Subject: Re: bug#12988: [PATCH] RE: bug#12988: isearch fails to persistentlyindicate case sensitivity

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 13:36:02 +0530

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

>>     Isearch( *Aw_):
>> 
>> Have a fixed width string like that.  Characters/Glyphs in the bracket
>> are basically all possible indicators or controls.  If a character is
>> on, highlight that on.  There is also some control on where the space
>> character goes.
>> 
>> One can even cycle through the glyphs and turn those switches 
>> on/off one by one.
>
> That's another interesting idea.  (Given the colon, I suppose you are talking
> about using this in the prompt instead of the mode-line lighter.)

It can go wherever.

But key thing is there is this switchboard with a bunch of switches one
for kitchen, one for hall etc. Then you walk to each of them and toggle
them.

So there are basically two commands - one to walk to next switch and one
to toggle it.  Switch themselves report whether they are ON/OFF and
IN-FOCUS/OUT-OF-FOCUS.  Choice of switches themselves become immaterial.

If one wants a new control then all one has to think about is what
character or glyph it will take and add it to the switchboard.