Subject: bug#12988: [PATCH] RE: bug#12988: isearch fails to persistentlyindicate case sensitivity

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 13:35:53 -0800

> "Isearch/_" doesn't sound too bad, but indeed "Isearch/ " wouldn't
> work well.

The slash is useless anyway.  Why not consider the proposals discussed earlier
in the thread (repeated below)?  "I search" works fine, especially if the " " is
highlighted (the complete lighter also has a mouseover highlight).

 ISEARCH    - case-insensitive
 Isearch    - case-sensitive

Case-sensitive examples:

 I search   - lax whitespace
 I*search   - regexp
 I* search  - lax ws & regexp
 Isearchw   - word
 Isearch_   - symbol
 I searchw  - word & lax ws
 I search_  - symbol & lax ws

Case-insensitive is similar, with SEARCH instead of search.  E.g.,

 I* SEARCH  - lax ws & regexp

And each of the chars SPC _ w * could be highlighted, for increased clarity.

This convention uses a maximum of 2 more characters than what we use now, and it
covers everything discussed so far.

The notation used should be short.  It should be noticeable and recognizable for
someone who is familiar with the notation.

Less important is to have something that also suggests its meaning.  Why is that
less important?  Because once you learn the meaning, the suggestion is not
needed anymore, except as a reminder.